Hello! I have been slacking lately! Life has been busy the past month. I’ve been cleaning our house like crazy getting it ready for showings (it finally sold last week, yay!), holiday gatherings and getting ready for baby #2! We just found out last week we are having a BOY!! Noelle will just love being a big sister. I don’t think she quite understands it yet, but she knows theres talk about a “baby brudder”. 🙂
We decided to surprise everyone by announcing the gender on Easter. I made a coconut cream cake and filled it with blue jelly beans. Such a fun way to announce and the cake was sooo yummmy. I’m not much of a cake person, but home made cake is just so amazing!! Especially this recipe.
On another note, I love making this Caprese Quinoa Bake on a regular basis! Its one of my go-to recipes that I know is easy to throw together and everyone in my family loves. I made it a few weeks ago to share with you all but haven’t gotten around to posting it yet. Well now that things have settled down a bit I have some time to sit here and write!
If you are looking for a new baked casserole recipe, you must try this! It’s also another fantastic and unique dish to make with quinoa and ground turkey. I loooove caprese, so this dish really hits the spot 🙂 Simply combine a delicious mixture of tomatoes, basil, cooked ground turkey, onion, parmesan and white wine then top with caprese, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, and bake until cheese is melted and tomatoes are cooked through.
I also love that it makes a great left over meal for the next day.
Nutritionally speaking, this dish provides a generous amount of protein, thanks to all the healthy quinoa, lean ground turkey and delicious cheeses. In addition, the tomatoes provide amazing disease fighting benefits from the antioxidant lycopene (which gives them their bright red color!) among many other nutrients.
Hope you enjoy!
- 2 c. cooked quinoa (or about 3/4 cup dry)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 16 oz. ground turkey
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. white wine (or chicken broth)
- Bunch of fresh basil leaves, ~4 tsp. (dried basil works too, ~2 tsp.)
- 5 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 c. + a little extra parmesan, grated
- 15 slices fresh mozzarella
- Balsamic Vinegar, drizzled on top to your preference
- Cook the dried quinoa according to package instructions. Mine says to combine 3/4 cup quinoa with 1 1/2 cups of water in a pot. Bring to a boil then turn heat on low, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile quinoa is cooking, preheat the oven to 400 deg F and spray a 9 x 13" casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat heat the olive oil then combine and cook the ground turkey, diced onion, garlic and salt until the turkey is cooked through.
- Pour in the white wine or broth and bring to a simmer while continuing to stir.
- Add in about 2 tsp fresh sliced basil (or about 1 tsp. dried), 3 of the sliced (or diced) tomatoes, 1/2 c. parmesan and quinoa. Stir to combine until heated through.
- Place the quinoa mixture in the casserole dish and line the remaining 2 sliced tomatoes and fresh mozzarella on top. Sprinkle with more fresh basil and parmesan, then drizzle balsamic vinegar on top.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is melty and tomatoes are cooked through.