Oh my! I didn’t know it was possible to make this oh so addictive cookie recipe taste even better! I love making these Banana-Walnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies, but was inspired by Recipe ReDux’s theme of the month “Favorite Chocolate Matches” to add some peanut butter. Wow that totally brought them up to the next level!
Nothing tastes better with chocolate than bananas and peanut butter! I love making smoothies with that combination too. Sooo good.
I also love how the original recipe incorporates some whole-wheat flour in there to add some wholesomeness. They have a soft slightly bread-like texture but then the oats, banana and walnuts give extra crunch, fiber and flavor. They are so addicting. It’s hard to resist eating all of the dough!
They actually remind me of banana bread in cookie form, with the added touch of dark chocolate chunks and peanut butter. Pretty much good enough to have for breakfast. Shhhh Don’t tell anyone I eat cookies for breakfast. 😉
If you have kiddos, I’m sure they will LOVE these and you can also feel a little less guilty that there’s some decent ingredients in there! Now you know what to make the next time you have 1 lonesome ripe banana sitting there on the counter.
Hope you enjoy! Also check out the links on the bottom of this post for other delicious and healthy chocolate combination recipes posted by other fellow Recipe ReDuxers.
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. ripe banana, mashed (about 1 large)
- 1/2 c. peanut butter
- 1 c. old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 c. dark chocolate chunks or chips
- 1/2 c. coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and cover two baking sheets with parchment paper (optional).
- Whisk the flours, salt and baking soda in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla then mix to combine.
- Mix in the mashed banana, peanut butter and flour mixture.
- Stir in the oats, chocolate chunks and walnuts.
- Drop scoops of dough about 2 inches apart onto the cookie sheets. It should make about 24 cookies total.
- Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until slightly golden for about 12-13 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes, then slide them on cookie racks to cool completely. (if you can resist!)
- Makes about 24, 3" diameter cookies