This is one of those great go-to recipes for those nights when you’re craving some comfort food and need to whip something up real fast. Don’t get me wrong homemade-layered lasagna is amaazzing, but when the mood strikes, who has time for all those steps? There is a lot of prep work involved!
With this recipe you simply boil the noodles while cooking your veggies in the skillet, then mix it all up with your cheese and sauce, throw it in the oven, then BAM delicious cheesy comforting lasagna. My fav part is the ricotta. I’m not sure why, maybe because I don’t eat it too often? Or because it is the Wisconsin blood in me? But it makes it oh so creamy and cheesy.
I typically make this lasagna vegetarian since it is the quickest method and also helps lighten it up a bit. I also use whole-wheat pasta noodles, part skim ricotta and pack it with flavorful veggies. The sauce can be whatever you’d like. When I am in a real time crunch, I just throw in some jarred red sauce like this one from Safeway. Or sometimes I make a white sauce such as the one in this original recipe from How Sweet Eats, but also added garlic, herbs and pesto sauce to add more flavor.
The whole grains and vegetables make this a high fiber and satisfying meal. If you’re looking to make it even lighter in the calories or fat, I would recommend altering your sauce and/or using less cheese. But who can resist all that cheesy goodness!? Yum. Enjoy!
- 6 whole wheat lasagna noodles, broken into thirds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4-6 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow squash, sliced and chopped
- 1 zucchini, sliced and chopped
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach (how much you prefer/have room for, it wilts down a lot)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz 2% milk mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 c. part-skim ricotta
- Pasta sauce: red jarred sauce, homemade or your favorite (Amount varies on your preference, I used maybe 1/3 of a jar)
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, sprinkled on top (optional)
- Fresh basil leaves, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Boil water for pasta and cook pasta according to directions, shaving a few minutes off the time.
- Meanwhile water is boiling or pasta is cooking, heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat and add olive oil.
- Add in your veggies and garlic, tossing to coat for about 10 minutes or until softened. If using spinach, add it last towards the end since it cooks really fast. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add sauce, mozzarella and cooked lasagna noodles to the skillet with the veggies, gently tossing to distribute.
- Cover with scoops of ricotta and sprinkle with fresh basil if you'd like.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is golden and bubbly. Serve with extra parmesan if you are a cheese lover like me!
- You can totally make this recipe your own, changing the veggies or sauce to your preference.