Everyone have a nice Thanksgiving? We had a good time going to my parents’ house in Fountain Hills for the parade and then Thanksgiving meal later in the day. So yummy. My parents are great cooks! It was also nice for Noelle to have both of her great grandpa’s there!
Now we are on to Christmas…I can’t believe it!
Now that we are in full holiday mode, I’m sure we are all feeling really busy and a bit stressed! The recipe I am sharing today is perfect for those days when you need a meal that is delicious and requires very little thought, prep and extra ingredients. I have made this plenty of times when I didn’t get around to making dinner plans or grocery shopping. It tastes like you went the extra mile, but really its super simple to make. Pretty much zero cooking skills needed.
First you lightly oil a ramekin or small oven safe bowl. Then, pour in some marinara sauce, cooked veggies, 2 eggs, milk and cheese. Put it in the oven, walk away and do all those things you need to get done and come back in 20 minutes for delicious Italian Baked Eggs. This meal goes really well with some whole wheat toast or garlic bread as well.
I love that this dish could be made for any meal in the day and easily adapted to whatever veggies you prefer. It provides an excellent source of protein from the dairy and eggs and healthy nutrients and fiber from the vegetables and tomato sauce. It will help keep you feeling fuller longer and sustain more energy. I chose to put pre sliced mushrooms and canned artichoke quarters in it, however you could also try bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant, etc. Yum!
- 1/2 c. marinara sauce (jarred or your own)
- 2 oz sliced mushrooms
- 3 artichoke quarters, canned or jarred
- 2 large eggs
- 1/8 c. fat free milk
- 1/8 c. low fat mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp. parmesan, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- basil, a few fresh leaves (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. And set a small skillet on the stove over medium heat.
- Spray the ramekin or oven proof bowl with non stick cooking oil.
- Cook your sliced mushrooms and artichokes on the skillet until softened, set aside.
- Pour the marinara sauce in the ramekin. Then add the veggies, 2 eggs, milk, cheese and season with salt and pepper. Gently break the eggs with a knife so they spread a little.
- Bake in the oven for about 20-22 min until eggs are pretty set (or to your preference), sauce is bubbling and the cheese is a little toasty on the top.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves on the top for added flavor, if desired.
- This tastes great with some whole wheat toast or garlic bread.
- Recipe can be adapted to whatever vegetables you prefer or keep it plain.
- This serves 1, however just multiply the ingrediants and grab a few more baking dishes if you are serving for a family.