We finally moved into our new house last weekend! I managed to photograph this blog post before finishing up on packing the kitchen. I am so ready to get settled into the new house and for life to slow down a bit before baby #2 makes his arrival in Sept!
Lots of projects and things going on over here. We put new floors and paint in the house a few weeks ago. Here’s a little peak on how it was looking before we moved in 🙂 I am loving the lightness, open space and gray walls.
On another note, I have a scrumptious recipe to share today! I’ll let the pictures do most of the talking on this one. 🙂
The Recipe ReDux theme for June is Pie Love. We were challenged to give a healthy makeover to a favorite savory or sweet pie recipe.
I’ve made this delicious galette plenty of times with various fruits and crusts. It’s such an easy dessert to throw together and best of all it doesn’t take very long to make or have to look perfect….hence the “rustic” name. But it sure does taste like perfection!
I tweaked a homemade partial whole wheat crust recipe and piled it high with fresh apples (from my apple tree!) and blueberries. Feel free to use a favorite crust recipe that you love (or store bought if you’re really short on time), although I must say this crust is amazing! And it takes 0 talent with pie dough 🙂
Had to share these because they were too cute. Took them before we moved. Noelle loves playing with the cookie sheets and “glubs”.
Hope you give this Rustic Apple Blueberry Galette a try! Check out some other recipes below spreading the “pie love” this month
- 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. whole-wheat flour
- 3 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 tbsp. trans fat-free vegetable shortening
- 3-5 tbsp. apple juice
- An additional few tbsp. water as needed (until dough is sticky enough to form together and roll out)
- 3 small apples, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices (peeled or unpeeled for more fiber)
- 1/2 c. blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, diced
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tbsp. water
- sprinkle of coarse or granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Combine the flours, sugar, salt and shortening in a medium size bowl until it looks like a coarse meal. Add apple juice and water a tablespoon at a time, gently tossing until dough is moist and sticks together (don't over mix!) Set aside.
- Toss the apples and blueberries with the lemon juice in a medium size bowl. Whisk together the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and allspice in a small bowl. Pour over the fruit and toss until combined.
- Lay out parchment paper on your counter and place dough in the center. Roll or shape dough into a 15-inch circle. Place the dough and paper on a baking sheet and arrange fruit filling in the center, leaving about 2-inches around the border. Fold the edges in and press gently to seal. Remember it doesn't have to look perfect! Dot the filling with butter.
- Whisk the egg white and water. Lightly brush the dough with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse or granulated sugar.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake 25-30 min. Uncover and bake an additional 10 min or until golden.
- Let sit at least 15-20 min. Cut into 8 slices and serve!