I’ve been slacking lately! It seems like things haven’t quite slowed down yet since the holidays. Between that, covering at work, possibly buying a house and trying to keep up with a toddler, this little momma hasn’t had a lot of time to blog!
For the past few months I’ve wanted to post this fun and healthy Skinny Chai Spiced Hot Chocolate. I suppose its not too late since I’m sure its still somewhat cold where you are, unless you live in Australia. Here in Arizona we actually had some light snow on New Years Day. Crazy I know!! So that made for a perfect hot chocolate day. Now our temps are back to the 70’s…perfection! I wish it stayed like this all year long. That doesn’t stop me from still making a yummy cup of hot chocolate though.
If you are a chai tea and dark chocolate dark cocoa, spices and sweetness. ‘er, this is the drink for you! It gives hot chocolate a yummy boost of flavor along with the vanilla and honey. It is so much better than hot chocolate from the packet. I just love that taste rich cocoa taste. It isn’t overly sweet either…just the perfect balance of
This Skinny Chai Spiced Hot Chocolate is made healthier by using non-fat milk or soy milk, 100% cocoa powder, vanilla and a dash of honey as the sweetener. This recipe was actually inspired by a fellow food blogger and registered dietitian at Eat Real Food. I created my own twist on it by skipping the chocolate chips and infusing it with a chai tea bag. So simple!
- 2 cups non-fat milk, unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 2 chai tea bags
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Add milk to a saucepan and put it over medium heat.
- Add the cocoa power and continuously whisk for a few minutes until blended.
- Put the tea bags inside the saucepan and gently stir until it reaches a simmer. Continuously stirring helps to prevent the milk "skin" from forming on the top.
- Remove from the heat, take out the tea bags with a slotted spoon and whisk in the honey and vanilla.
- Pour into 2 mugs...or have it all to yourself! :)... and sprinkle some cinnamon on top.